Pests are a problem on your lawn all year round but can be particularly noticeable over the summer months. The pest that is particularly prospering this Summer is Ants, and now is as good a time as any to consider preventative control.
Ant hills can disfigure lawns, they usually appear in summer and are especially prevalent in damp conditions (hence the over activity this year!). They can be dispersed by brushing the soil when conditions are dry. Most ant species build underground nests. Worker ants dig tunnels and chambers in the soil and as the colony grows workers add more tunnels and chambers to the nest. As such, over time if left untreated the lawn may become uneven. Ants can also damage roots which may cause yellowing of the grass
Ant colonies can grow to be quite large:
- Their nests may reach 6 meters below the ground
- A group of nests may cover an area as large as a tennis court
- Millions of ants may live in these nests
Whilst we are at it, here are some further interesting Ant Facts:
- There are more than 12,000 species of ants all over the world
- An ant can lift 20 times its own body weight
- Some queen ants can live for many years and have millions of babies!
- Ants don’t have ears. Ants “hear” by feeling vibrations in the ground through their feet
- When foraging, ants leave a pheromone trail so that they know where they’ve been
- Queen ants have wings, which they shed when they start a new nest
- When the queen of the colony dies, the colony can only survive a few months
Importantly for you, ants can be controlled by treating with Joe’s specialist products and pesticides available from our van shop!
Remember “prevention is better than cure!” – Just ask Joe